Funeral Prayers Namaz – Salat Al – Janazah
1. The funeral prayers are the collective responsibility (1).
2. There are two conditions for funeral prayers. One pertain to the person saying the Salat (These are the same which are necessary for other Salat i.e. Taharat, Satre aurat, Istiqbale Qibla & intention). The time is not the condition, moreover dry ablution is also allowed (2) for this Salat, when there is fear of the Salat being over (3) by the time wet ablution is under taken. This rule is not applicable to other Namaz.
The other conditions relate to the dead, which are as follows.
1. The dead is a Muslim.
2. The body & the shroud both are clean (4).
|Notes: –1. Fardhe Kifayah is collective responsibility. If it is performed by some people it will be treated as done by all. & if it is not performed by anyone all will be sinners.2. When he is not a Wali (Guardian) of the dead.
3. Other than Eidain.
4. The body & the shroud are compulsory to be clean initially. After the washing of the dead body & covering with the shroud if any dirt is ejected from the body making the shroud or body unclean it is not a bar to Salat.
The hidden parts (1) are properly covered. The dead body is present there. The dead body is before the person leading funeral prayers. The Imaam is matured. (If the dead was a pagan or atheist or the dead body is not washed or shroud is unclean or the dead body is naked or the dead body is not present or it is behind the person saying the Salat or on a carriage or on the hands, in such circumstances the prayers will not be lawful).
3. There are only two postures (Rukūʿn) in funeral prayers first is four Takbir (2) (that means utter Allahu Akber 4 times) 2nd is standing (3) (The prayers are performed by standing).
4. There are 3 traditions of the Holy Prophet (SAWS) for funeral prayers, uttering ‘HAMD’ & ‘SANA’ & Durood e shareef & supplication.
5. The traditional & acceptable way of performing the funeral prayers is that while keeping the dead body in front (4) of the Imaam & the followers, make an intention for funeral prayers (5) & tie hands, after raising hands while uttering Allahu Akber once under the navel, utter Sanaa Utter Allahu Akber 2nd time (but this time hands are not raised (6)) better to utter the same Durood which is uttered in the Salat then Durood shareef is uttered (whichever Durood is memorised) but it is better to recite that darood which is recited in the Salat utter Allahu Akbar for the 3rd time (handsare not raised) then utter supplication.
|Notes: –1.’Jisme Aurat’ means the part of the body which is compulsory to be covered according to the shariah & exposing thereof is forbidden. For men from navel to knees & for women entire body except face & both palms & soles.2. Every Takbir is a substitute of one Raka’at.3. There is no Rukūʿ, Sajdah, qaida in this prayer.4. Whether the dead body is of a male or female.5. The invocation is “I perform this funeral prayer with 4 Takbir s for almighty Allah & make supplication for the dead body (muqtadis will also say behind this imaam, the imaam will say with the muqtadis) facing Kaba utter Allahu Akber.
6. The face need not be raised as some people do.
If the dead is a major (1) this Dua’ is read (2) Form in or boy or insane (3) recites is Dua for minor girl or insane recite this Dua’:
Utter Allahu Akber for the 4th time (4) & convey salaam towards right & left as conveyed at the end of other Salat. But the salaam is uttered with low voice. (The funeral prayer is over (5)).
|Notes: –1. Whether male or female.2. If this Dua’ is not remembered utter is enough. If this is also not remembered Stand silent then utter Takbir.
3. The insanity is continued from puberty till death.
4. Not to raise hands this time also.
5. (Necessary Warning):- The people have considered the funeral prayer is a hard task whereas it is very simple (as is evident from the method shown). In some villages ignorant Muslims bury the dead Muslim without funeral prayer. Especially because they do not know the method of funeral prayer & no Imaam is made available. This is a serious matter. These Muslims should not do so by all means, whereas they have to learn the method of performing the funeral prayers. They should place the dead body in front of them & Stand with ablution & utter Allahu Akber 4 times. (The funeral prayers will be complete). Sana, Durood, Dua’ is not compulsory but these are only traditional things. Only 4 Takbir s & qiyam is compulsory. In the case of emergency this will be enough to complete the Salat. But it is to be remembered that in case of emergency it will have to be done but learn the method of performing funeral prayers immediately. Otherwise it will be a sin. In funeral prayers there is no ‘Attahiyyat’ & recitation of Quran etc. Evenafter 4 Takbir & before salaam there is no Dua’,no Rukūʿ, & no Sajdah . The prayer is same for Imaam & Muqtadi. The Imaam will utter Takbir at & salaam loudly & the Muqtadi slowly. The rest of the things (Sana, Durood , Dua’ ). The Imaam & Muktadi all will utter slowly.
6. It is desirable in the funeral prayer to form 3 rows, even when there are only 7 persons available. One becomes Imaam then the three persons in the first row & 2 persons in 2nd row & one person in the third row.
7. If the Imaam utters more than 4 Takbir at the Muqtadi need not emulate him, should keep quiet. When the Imaam conveys salaam they should also convey.
8. If a person arrives at the time when the Imaam has uttered one or two Takbir at in funeral prayers, he should not immediately join by uttering Allahu Akber, whereas he should wait till the Imaam says the next Takbir. When the Imaam utters Takbir heshould also utter it & join the Namaz. (This Takbir is Takbir e Tahreema for him) when the Imaam conveys the salaam this person will have to utter his missed Takbir at (If there is no fear of lifting of the dead body he can utter the Dua’ also otherwise not).
9. If a person was already there at the time of starting the Salat but he did not join it due to which certain Takbir at are already over, such person need not wait for Takbir , he should join the Salat immediately.
10. The title to lead the funeral prayer is with the Ruler, then Governor of the city, then Qazi (1), Naib Qazi. If these persons are not available the Imaam of the locality is entitled provided there is no other preferable person among the guardians of the dead otherwise the guardian (2) of the dead & that person who is permitted by the guardian. If there are more guardians of the dead person who is very near is entitled to lead the prayers. If there are 2 guardians with same caliber the person who is older is entitled. If a person leads the prayers without permission of the guardian & he has not the title to do so the guardian has the discretion to say the prayers again. If that person was capable of leading the prayers then the guardian has no right to repeat it.
|Notes: –1. A Muslim judge of the court.2. Aauliya is the plural of Wali, here the Wali means a relative.|
11. The funeral prayers will be spoiled by those things which spoil the other Namaz. Loud laughter (1) will not nullify (2) the ablution in the funeral prayers & this Salat will not be spoiled, & even if a woman stands besides.
12. Performing the funeral prayer by sitting or on a carriage is not lawful (provided there is no reason).
13. The funeral prayers should not be performed inside the mosque (3). (If rain is expected it will be correct).
14.If many dead bodies are brought at a time, it is better to perform the Salat separately for each dead body, if a combined Salat is performed it will also be lawful, in which case the coffins are kept in rows in such a way that they are kept one before the other (towards qibla) so that their heads are one side & the legs on the other or in a way that the legs of one is towards the head of another, or the head of one is near the shoulder of the other. In all the above arrangements the first arrangement is better because the breast of all dead will be in front of the Imaam. (It is Sunnah). In the rest of the arrangements the Imaam has to stand before the dead body of the person who is senior & preferable. If the dead bodies are of different categories the serial is to be maintained. The males are kept near the Imaam, then of the children & then of the hermaphrodites (khunsa), major woman, then minor girls.
|Notes: –1. Laughter loudly.2. Namaaz will not be void.3. It is prohibited to the point of forbidden & its reward will be lost.|
15. If a dead is laid inside the grave without saying funeral prayers & not filled with the soil the dead body should be taken out from the grave & prayers are performed. If the grave is filled with the soil Salat is to be performed on the grave itself till the dead is not putrefied. (The Muslim theologians have estimated three days for decomposition of the dead).
16. If the dead body is found half cut or more than half with the head as made available funeral prayers are performed otherwise not.
17. The child who is born lifeless no funeral prayer is required only after cleaning body wrapped in a clean cloth & buried.
18. It is not correct to perform Namaz on the dead body which is not washed or cleaned by water or by dry ablution. But after burial Namaz can be performed on the grave.
19. The child whose parents are Muslims he will be treated as Muslim & funeral prayers will be performed.
20. Funeral prayers can be performed of a sinner & libertine whose life has ended as believer. A Muslim judge has authority to stop from saying funeral prayers on sinners, so that there is a lesson to the others & to refrain from sin.
21. Immediately after the funeral prayers the dead body is taken to the grave prepared & buried.
Note: This article Core content is taken from Ahle khidmat e sharia. You can also read online other books from the Zia Islamic Books as well as Al-Mahad. You can read and buy online Islamic books, Cd’s and DVD’s in Minhaj Books.
Being a muslim it is must to spread saying (Ahadith) of Prophet (PBUH) to each and every one for which one will be rewarded both in this world and life hereafter.